Tuesday 13 November 2012

After Co-Dependency...




The biggest thing for me when my relationship was ending wasn't just worrying about how I would cope (I knew I could handle anything thrown in my way), it wasn't even worrying about my son so much - of course this was a big thing for me, but I knew I could make anything ok where he was concerned. No, the thing that stressed me out the most was the small stuff - how could we live on one income, how was I going to accomplish anything alone with a small child around full-time, who was going to make the calls to the phone company when they mess up our bill and send threatening letters? 

It was about this time I fully realised how co-dependent we had become. My ex and I very much looked after each other, to the point we forgot how to look after ourselves (the ex of course further proved this point by moving in with a new girlfriend as soon as he moved out of our home). Me - I didn't have the option of replacing that co-dependable side. I had to work on self-sufficiency. 

Having been with the ex for my whole adult life, I'd never done any of those adult things on my own - never flat hunted alone, or been out of work alone, managed a budget alone or made any big decision pretty much ever without at least consulting someone else. Now all these things fall to me. And more. I had nobody to sound ideas off, to make decisions with, to share the responsibility with - and what a big responsibility now that my son's happiness, his future is in the balance as well as my own. I wrote in my journal "I am crippled by the weight of the decisions I face alone". 

As you can see, those decisions got made, those lonely tasks were accomplished - I found a home for us, moved cross-country, managed that budget (sort of), we survive on one income, I made all those phonecalls to utility companies and phone suppliers. I did it and I did it alone. I tell myself every day 'You got this, girl' (I'm sure this will be my lifelong mantra) and I know I can do it. Not just because I have to, but because I am strong enough to. I am dependable enough to. 

I replaced that co-dependency with a kick-ass self-sufficiency - and it feels great. I feel free and in control. My life is mine and not just mine, mine and my son's - and I choose to make it work and to work on our terms. We dance and thrive in those decisions I made and make everyday. There are many many more decisions ahead of us, paths to walk alone, conversations to have with only myself to consult. But I am safe in the knowledge I can do this. I don't do co-dependency now because now there is far too much depending on me. 

3 comments:

  1. you do totally rock. Thats why I enjoy reading your blog. even though some of the posts are sad and I have no idea what to say because words can't make it better, I don't worry too much because I know you rock and you will be fine. And posts like this just prove it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it. "kick-ass self-sufficiency". you're awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Invest in Ripple on eToro the World’s Top Social Trading Network...

    Join millions who have already found easier strategies for investing in Ripple...

    Learn from profitable eToro traders or copy their positions automatically!

    ReplyDelete